Monday, February 13, 2006

Thaw

Winter turns to spring, the first primroses are on the roadside. Although I can see snow on the hills, and an icy wind continues to blow, each day is a little longer than its yesterday, and there is some warmth in the sun. I have caught a chill from digging in the garden under that north wind, but I am sure it will pass in a day or two.

I have a friend who has been through a much harder winter. For her one icy storm has followed another, her winter so profound as to seem never-ending. But spring will come in her country too.


at last the sun climbs
in the eastern sky —
a steady drip of thaw

_________________________

First published Lishanu 2005
© author 2005. All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norman,

I found this haibun deeply moving. Although it is fine, indeed, taken literally, I suspect the real import is that "much harder winter" - more than a weather event, I am guessing. The haiku works in both cases. Very well done!

bw,
Denis

4:12 PM  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

wonderful work!
Andrew

6:00 PM  
Blogger laryalee said...

Hi Norman!
So good to see you again, and I'm touched by this haibun...an effective blend of winter chill and spring warmth, both in nature and in the heart.
Warm spring thoughts to you!

:-)
Lary

11:17 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I really like this haibun, it wastes no words and implies much more than it states.

9:33 AM  
Blogger mattm said...

i'll confess i'm not the world's biggest fan of haibun, but this one hits the right note

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home